August 8 Industry Webinar- Accounting
Date: 8 August 2018
Time: 8pm EDT
What Will You Learn?
The industry-specific webinars are designed specifically to provide professional insights on a range of industries that are most popular among Chinese international students. Through such webinars, you will be able to learn about the career prospects, job vacancies, responsibilities and the qualifications required in specific industries.
- Brief description of the industry you are working in, in terms of current trends, past history and expected future developments.
- Why you enjoy working in this industry.
- What competencies your industry (and your company, if you are still working within this industry) are seeking from international graduates (specifically Chinese graduates).
- What are the “key success factors” for those who excel within this industry?
- Please describe some common mistakes made by applicants (within both the application and interview processes) in your experience of helping companies to recruit.
- What is the typical career path for new graduates working in your industry?
- What might be some additional options (“the path less taken”) that could be explored within the industry by new graduates?
- Are there any advantages and/or disadvantages of being a Chinese person (vs an American, or someone from another culture) entering this industry within the U.S. job market at this time?
- Why might international students benefit from/need a professional career coaching service? (Share examples regarding cultural obstacles /different values in American international corporations.)
- What resources have proven most useful to you in building industry knowledge?
- The fundamentals of US interview preparation and resume writing
Information About the Speaker
Doug is a Certified Public Accountant and has an active New York State license. He has worked in both accounting and Human Resources for thirty years as a Chief Financial Officer, Vice President of Human Resources and consultant. His international experience includes positions and consulting assignments with Citibank, General Motors, Fiserv and Verifone.
Doug’s international experience provided the opportunity to partner with individuals from Asia and other areas of the globe. On many projects he acted as a mentor to a diverse group of international participants including Asia.
Doug was responsible for recruiting and hiring at subsidiaries of Fiserv, Verifone and Move.Inc. At each position he set hiring requirements, designed interview and evaluation questions and mentored both Human Resources and Finance groups.
Some of his accomplishments include:
- Consulting on the largest international IT outsourcing deal in GM history.
- Implementing the startup of Verifone Transportation Systems’ NYC Taxi credit card system, including the hiring and mentoring of all personnel. This has become a global organization.
- Designing the compensation and recruiting program for more than 300 sales personnel at Move.inc.
- Implementing a payroll tax division at Fiserv that grew to over $2 billion in transactions including the hiring and training of all staff.
Doug obtained his degree in Accounting from Queens College, part of the City University of New York system. He continued his education by earning certificates from many organizations including Dale Carnegie and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Currently, Doug is the CEO and Owner of DAB Consulting Services. He provides financial and Human Resource consulting to a diverse group of clients. He has an ongoing commitment to mentoring others and assisting them in achieving their professional goals.
Doug is also an Entrepreneurial Skills Coach, with experience helping new companies to plan, operate and build their organizations.